Our approach to performance assessment is characterized by attention to detail, practicality, and dedication to the accuracy of student scores. In addition to handscoring, we score millions of constructed responses each year using our image-based scoring application.
With Questar, student responses receive scores that reflect the client's intent for that particular testing situation. Our professionals are expert in creating reader training and scoring procedures that are sound, effective, cost-conscious, and efficient. Our approach often entails implementing reader quality control measures beyond those required by the client.
We have extensive experience developing:
- Domain scoring rubrics for writing
- Item-specific holistic rubrics for constructed responses in reading, mathematics, social studies, science, and listening
- Specialized alternative rubrics for scoring portfolios from special student populations – including English language learners and students with cognitive disabilities
Questar's handscoring staff includes some of the most experienced, reputable experts in the field of handscoring for large-scale statewide assessments. These professionals have been instrumental in developing numerous scoring rubrics for a variety of content areas – all tailored to the client’s particular scoring needs.
The handscoring staff at Questar has participated in all activities associated with performance assessment, including:
- Prompt and item development
- Bias and content review
- Design of reader training procedures, materials, and quality control reports
- Scoring performance and production monitoring
- Item, prompt, and rubric review and evaluation
- Standard setting
These professionals have managed high-profile, high-stakes handscoring efforts for, among others:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
ScorePoint delivers a dynamic, intuitive online scoring experience for readers. This results in more accurate scores being delivered more quickly.
- Leveraging the capabilities of the Internet, this robust program enables hundreds of readers at one or more scoring centers to securely view and score images simultaneously
- We set up satellite scoring centers as necessary to ensure a sufficient scoring workforce to meet the requirements and deadlines of all our contracts
- As a centralized, hosted software application, ScorePoint is designed for secure performance scoring of constructed responses by readers in central locations or in homes and schools
- ScorePoint's Internet architecture provides the technical capability for distributed scoring – allowing teachers, university staff, or citizens to score constructed responses and on-demand writing prompt responses in-state, should this capability be required
- Questar's processing system and image-scoring systems are integrated, allowing for the immediate preparation of a complete student record – this limits the time between document scanning, scoring and report production, permitting quicker turnaround of results reports
In addition to performance assessment work, we have designed and led numerous professional development workshops in clients' states.
Questar's performance assessment experts understand the power of clear, organized information that is tailored to the audience. Our primary goal in professional development sessions is to promote increased understanding and acceptance of the client’s testing program.